Saturday, November 12, 2011

Team Ball

If you know me, you know I love football.  I followed it, played it, now I follow it and support it.  One of the most challenging jobs I have but I love is to give a Friday afternoon talk to a high school football team.   I like being on the sidelines down there among 'em too where you can hear the popping and feel the action.  I get excited.   One time years ago I got excited but I don't remember what it was about.  It was probably a bad call.(Houston folks know I like to tell the refs- "they been doing it all night" when they throw a flag on the opponent.)  That night I was on the sidelines expressing my clean, Godly thoughts about the need for proper justice to reign over the football field, especially for our team.  The head ref looked at the head coach, who was my chairman of deacons, and said, "Calm your coach down, coach." The head coach replied, "He's not my coach, he's my preacher."  The ref started laughing.  I enjoy football.
I also enjoy seeing it played well, because it takes all the parts doing their jobs.  The little fast guys have got to Gooooooooooo!  The strong mean guys have got to hit!  The big uglies have to block or penetrate the line.  It all works together. When it does, victory normally comes and it is a beautiful thing...if you love football.
I also love the church of Jesus Christ and love to be a part of it.  It works like a football team.  We all have different gifts and abilities and we all need to strive with all we are to do our very best at all of them.  When we do victory will come, God will be honored, and it will be a beautiful thing! The apostle Paul put it is way in (www.lifejournal.cc) I Cor. 12:24-26 -But God has so composed the body, ... 25that there may be no division in the body, but that the members may have the same care for one another. 26If one member suffers, all suffer together; if one member is honored, all rejoice together.   Together it is a beautiful thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment