Sunday, November 20, 2011

A Full Plate

Today we venture into and run right through the Sermon on the Mount (www.lifejournal.cc).  The Sermon on the Mount is wonderful.  There are so many spots to stop and apply.  I have preached on the Sermon on the Mount for the entire second half of this year on Sunday mornings.  There is a lot there.  As I asked the Lord to lead me this morning, he showed me Matthew 6:34-  Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.   That passage was spiritually highlighted for me this morning.  I guess it is because we live in a stressed out society.  We feel covered up so often. 
Some people are covered up by schedule.  I remember having a conversation with someone years ago that worked at a convenience store.  She had an introductory job and was probably not a candidate to move up. She told me, "I don't like working there.  When you get done with one thing, they give you another."  I think that is what is supposed to happen on the job but I doubt she was getting her fair shake.  She felt a little covered up. 
Some people are covered up by finances, but some of that is of our own making.  Years ago on a Sunday morning when church was over, I was standing at the door shaking hands, and a lady came by and said, "Pray for me preacher, I'm having to file bankrupcy this week."  I was startled.  My knee-jerk is to say, "Wait a Minute!  Let's look at some things."  It was clear quick that she did not want my opinion nor counsel,  she wanted my blessing.  I am not quick to bless bankrupcy, although I know under some circumstances....Two weeks later I was getting the oil changed at a car lot and she was buying a practically new van. What!!  Huh!!  I don't even know how that happens, but some of our financial struggle is of our own making. 
Some are covered up by pressure.  I was reading this morning how they gave up on Mark Reicht at the first of the year as the football coach of Georgia.  They knew it was just a matter of time.  Will he make it through the year or be fired midseason? Well, they won the SEC East yesterday.  He'll probably get an extension. If they beat LSU, he may get enshrined.  
Some are covered up by stress.  It could be from these things and it could be from within.  If the Prince of Peace is not calming your storm, your personal boat is rocking.  However, even with the Lord, we are very imperfect people. 
What do we do about all this? Jesus tells us don't worry about tomorrow, you have enough on your plate today.  The wonderful thing is that we have one that walks beside us to carry our plate for us. So what are you worried about?  Jesus loves you!

No comments:

Post a Comment