Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Little Angels

I have seen and heard a lot of preachers in my days.  I attend conferences and listen to podcasts (and before that tapes) and I have heard a lot.  I am found out a few things: 1) Those guys that preach the great sermons at conferences, sound a lot more normal if you listen to them week after week.  2) I have found myself to be a preacher watcher as much as a preacher listener. 
Last night I heard David Nasser, a hit preacher that has wrote a few books and preached a lot of youth and college events and done quite well for himself.  He started a church in Birmingham a little over a year ago and he talked about how hard it was.  The strains in many areas of his life.  I found myself watching him (interact and respond) as much as I listened. 
One of my heroes when I was a preacher boy was Adrian Rogers.  He always had the last spot on the last night of the conference and he always hit a homerun.  The controversies of the Southern Baptist Convention of the 1970-80's were about over by the time I started listening.  I just enjoyed good preaching. However, I also watched and I always wanted to speak to whomever I enjoyed.  One night as a college student I rode to Charlotte with some friends to hear Adrian preach at a conference.  I caught him in a sidehall as he tried to leave.  I told him how influential he was to me.  He stopped (although in a hurry) and wrapped his arms around me and prayed for me.  I have never forgotten it.  He took the time.  Not a big thing, maybe, but it was to me.  Never ignore the children. At least that is what Jesus said.   Mark 10:14-16- 14But when Jesus saw it, he was indignant and said to them, "Let the children come to me; do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of God. 15 Truly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child shall not enter it." 16And he took them in his arms and blessed them, laying his hands on them.
I had a little boy walk up to me the other day at the middle school.  I had just given about a 3-minute devotional thought to the football team.  No big conferences, no big sermon, no big deal.  A little 7 year old (or close) walks up and says- I always like your Bible talks.  Then he ran off and started playing again.  I yelled, 'Thank you' as he went. 
May God be pleased when He brings the angels for us to entertain.  Be watchful and alert today!

No comments:

Post a Comment