Monday, November 28, 2011

Our Hope, Joy, and Crown

At the first of January I will have been pastoring for 19 years.  I never will forget the opportunity that I seemed to stumble on to about 19 years ago today.  I had went home with a seminary friend for Thanksgiving weekend or a weekend very close to Thanksgiving.  The main motive was to see a Christian concert but much more happened.  Scott's (Hanberry) father was the chairman of the search committee of a church in Hattiesburg. He was best friends with my preaching professor, who was filling an interim position in Hattiesburg.  On Sunday afternoon after preaching Dr. Bryson would come to see Scott's father and that Sunday they had a conversation about the pastoral position.  It is my understanding that I was brought up in that conversation.  Not knowing that, I was asked by Scott's father, Billy, to take a ride with him.  We rode to the parking lot of the church and he began telling me the situation.  He then asked me what I thought they should do.  Now, understand, that I had told the placement office at the seminary that I did not have enough experience to put my name in for a pastoral position.  Plus I was unmarried.  I could not imagine what church would want me to be their pastor.  I had filled a couple of youth weekends since beginning seminary but felt as if I had been shelved after being busy in NC and SC during college.  Billy and I talked in that parking lot and he asked me to come and preach.  I preached in December.  They asked me to come back again.  I came back again.  I went home (to Greenville, SC) for Christmas and they called me in Greenville and asked me to consider becoming their pastor.  I was shocked.  I never saw it coming.  It was obviously God at work.
That was 19 years ago.  I read a passage this morning that led me to reminiscence a little bit.    Paul was reflecting on his impact on lives in ministry and he says this: For what is our hope or joy or crown of boasting before our Lord Jesus at his coming? Is it not you? 20For you are our glory and joy.-
I Thes. 2:19-20.
I am not an old man. I hope to do what I do for about 50 years (or as long as God gives me breath), so I am not halfway to my goal, but as I look back on this wet, cold morning, what I remember most is the impact that people have had on me and that I may have had on them.  I have little to boast about in me, but I smile and praise God when I ponder on the lives that I have seen change and spiritually mature along this path. 
It is a blessing to do what I do, but it is a job as well.  I will come upon people today that need me to give my very best for Christ to them.  You will too.  Let's be unselfish, visionary, and faithful with each and every life.  God wants to use you and me today.  Let's let nothing come in the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment