Sunday, December 4, 2011

Bitter Seeds

Ephesians 4: 26-27- Be angry and do not sin; do not let the sun go down on your anger, 27and give no opportunity to the devil. (www.lifejournal.cc)  One of the blessings of the pastorate is the people that you get to minister alongside.  I have friends in several states because, over time, I have moved around or they have moved around.  These friends  are those that I have had the joy of pastoring or ministering beside.  It is a blessing...most of the time.  Two people fascinated me in the first church that I pastored.  One of them was a man with a mean streak.  Don't misunderstand!  He was a good guy and meant well, but he just could not help it.  He had to chew me out once a year whether I needed it or not.  One time it was over a table that a Vacation Bible School had left set up in 'his' classroom.  Now there was nothing left on the table and nothing else left in the room...just one of those folding fellowship hall tables.  I walked in the class to greet the men and it was like I had crossed the property line of a pit bull.     I said 'Good morning' and then it was 'Good night.'  Now let me ask you: how many hours do you think he had logged in volunteerism for the VBS?  You guessed it: Zero.  He would buy me a doughnut and a cup of coffee from time to time but....Then there was another lady.  This dear lady had been through a lot and she was going to take it out on you.  She had married a mean man with a lot of problems and it had made her a bitter lady.  When Dawn and I announced our engagement she walked up to me and said, "Don't get married.  It will be the worst mistake you ever make."  Well, I did get married and outside of accepting the Lord, it is the best decision I ever made. 
It is ugly to see bitter folks.  Do you know how folks get bitter?  They let the sun go down on their anger.  They hold grudges. They don't forgive.  They let negative thoughts sit and seed and sprout more negative thoughts like horrible weeds in a flower garden.  Before long the weeds have taken off and are snuffing out the beauty.  Don't let it happen.  Forgive and move on with life.  The devil's seeds grow ugly, ugly things.  Wake up with a smile today and go to bed with one too!

No comments:

Post a Comment