Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Winning the Daily Battle

It is my effort each day to read the prescribed passage of Scripture and find a verse with a 'truth for the day' to live on and to gain strength and guidance from.  My primary intent is to find something that works for me that day and then talk about it a little in the overflow.  It is my hope to encourage others as well, however, there is no doubt that some days the greater application is personal.  
When I read what I read today  (www.lifejournal.cc), I am overwhelmed by so many opportunities to gain strength and guidance.   John is rich and good stuff.  I love in John 9 when the healed man that was blind says, "I don't know all the details, I just know I can see."  They were tossing this man into a power struggle, but he could not have cared less, he could see.  You don't have to have it all figured out, just proclaim what you know and spend more time with the Lord in the Word so that you will know more and more.
However, my passage for the day, is one of my favorite in Scripture: John 10:10- The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly.  The life to the fullest that is ours for the taking will only come through the Lord.  He gives life abundant, life complete.  However, He also warns us and that is where I want to focus for a few minutes.  There is an evil one that loves to steal, kill, and destroy, and he is does it like a thief will. He does it to not be noticed.  He does it through sneaky temptations that seem to have mild consequences but grow into profound conflict.  He does it through whispering sweet nothings in our ear- "you are nothing"- and driving us to the point that we feel our thoughts and actions do not matter.  He does it through dulling our consciences by using the images and words that we are exposed to make us less aware.   He does it by convincing us to let it all hang out and to say and do whatever we feel.  The hurt and the mistakes that can come from such leads to destruction.  There is a battle with evil taking place all around us constantly and it is a consistent attempt to throw us off of our game, lead us away from Christ, to steal our thrill, to kill our zeal, and to destroy our joy.  Don't let him do it.  No temptation has seized you except what is common to us all.  God will always provide you a way out.   You will not win unless you take it.  Don't be caught in the trap of the evil one.   Live life abundantly today.

Internet access may be vague in the coming days and schedules will be wild.  Writing may be little to none until New Years.  Forgive me and keep walking toward the light.  You don't need me everyday but you need a good Word from God every day to win the war.  End this year right by walking with him daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment