Saturday, December 10, 2011

Fanning the Flame

Well, my attempt is daily but it does not always work out like that.   One morning I got up early and got ready to write and my 5 year old got up with me at 5AM sporting a fever and sick with strep throat.  Not only did it change my morning, it changed my day.  Life does not always work with our schedule.  Then it was internet troubles.   Oh well, I'm back!

One of Paul's precious letters to Timothy is what we read today.  Timothy had a legacy of faith that he followed after.  He also had Paul, who was teaching him as they went.  Paul encourages him in this letter to keep on keeping on. www.lifejournal.cc I Timothy 1:6-7- For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands, 7for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.  I grew up in a house with a wood fireplace.  Thankfully it was not our only source of heat or our main source of heat, but it was a great way to see an 'army man' melt to death.  (You should have heard the commentary that I gave with my face inches away from the fire.)  When I was not trying to sneak small burnable items into the fire, I was trying to avoid cutting firewood.  Honestly, I usually did avoid it.  (Every now and then sorry older brothers come in handy.)  I liked to build the fires.  We had a formula.  Crump paper first.  Strategically place the kindling.  Lay a few logs on it and start the smaller fires in various parts.  If one would begin to burn out, blow on it and it will 'fan the flame' and burn a little better.  However, to get it going and to keep it going, it helped to give it your attention.   Our spiritual lives need attention as well.  If you are a Christian, you have started right.  Everything is in place.  Now it is about making sure you continue to burn for the Lord.  Give it your full attention and let the Spirit of God blow through your life to keep you on fire for Jesus.  It is easy to let it fade. Much will come in the way or you may just drift.  Don't!  Fan the flame today!

No comments:

Post a Comment