Monday, December 12, 2011

No Substitutes

Substitutes are not quite the same.  When I was in the 8th grade, my math teacher got sick and missed almost the entire year.  We had a substitute practically the whole year.  Substitutes are not trained or credentialed in the same way...and they cannot do it like the teacher can.  I was horrible in math (a strong subject for me) that year and it set me for catching up throughout most of my high school career.  Substitutes are not the same.

I substituted one time.  I have been involved in high school football most of my ministry and I wanted to get to know the students better.  I try to take Fridays off when I can and I decided that I could substitute on Fridays if I was needed.  I attended a one-day seminar and I was ready! That seminar and a high school diploma is all you need (in most places).  My schedule did not work out like I planned and I was only able to do it one time.  When I walked in, I had a note that said " show them 'Finding Nemo' the movie."  Halfway through the first class I cut the movie off and we played Psychological Jeopardy (it was a psychology class).  I got the textbook and found some basic info and we played the game.  It was not that bad a day.  Even with that, a substitute is not the same as a teacher.   When the real teacher comes, learning can really happen!

We read Hebrews today (www.lifejournal.cc).  Hebrews is not an easy book, however, it helps to keep something in mind.  The Hebrew writer is trying to reinforce to the Jews that Christ really is the promised Messiah.  The Old Testament people and truths that are referred to are mentioned to reach the Jews where they were and show them where they should be: believing in Jesus.  One of the main overriding points:  Jesus is the real thing!  Salvation can really happen now!  All the others were substitutes, getting people ready for the real thing in Jesus.  Now in Christ, we can rest assured!  Hebrews 6:19-20-We have this as a sure and steadfast anchor of the soul, a hope that enters into the inner place behind the curtain, 20where Jesus has gone... Christ is the real thing and He has taken the place of previous high priests and there is no need for anymore.  He is sure and steadfast.  He anchors our soul and we can rest in Him.  Let's not settle for substitutes today!  Let's rest in Him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment