Saturday, August 24, 2013

Hot Dogs and Life

Today we read Jeremiah 33-34,  Psalm  74, and I John 5.

Anybody that knows me knows that I love to eat.  I plan trips around the restaurants that are on the way.  I don't smoke or drink or run with women that do (I don't run with women anyway), but I like to eat.  I am not impressed with fancy.  A branch of pine on a plate is a bad sign to me.   They could have put a vegetable there.  Not impressed with dessert drizzles.  I will take an unpresentable bowl of 'naner' pudding anytime.   I like the hole in a wall restaurant that has a specialty and sticks to it.  For instance, one of my favorite restaurants is a hot dog joint.  All they sale are hot dogs, chips, and drinks (in the bottle).  No alcohol, no profanity, and no music.  Not 50 different kinds of hot dogs....just two...with or without.  Yet, there is hardly a time I go to upstate South Carolina that I don't eat at one of the spots called Skin's Hot Dogs.

I know you don't care about me and my hot dogs, but I want you to understand how I rank good.  It does not have to be fancy, royal, or plush.  It just needs to be good.

That is the way I look at life too.  I don't need everything the world can offer me.  I actually need the one thing that this world cannot offer me.  I need something 'out of this world.'    That is what I was reminded of this morning as I read 1 John 5.4 - Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life. 

Jesus even says in John 10.10 that He has come to give us life to the fullest or life abundant.   That is what I am living for...that is who I am living for.

I hope you are....and I hope you have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment