Thursday, July 12, 2012

Big Hair and Waggy Tails

I have heard it many times.  The big haired fellar with the flashy suit rides up in the luxury car, barks about where his tape table is set up, and then sits down on the staged chair like Jonah sat under the vine regrettably eyeing Ninevah.  It seemed to happen every year at my church when I was growing up.  The hired gun would come in to tell us how hot hell was, how sorry we were, and how he had a special if we would buy  a whole set of sermons.  I know it is a stereotype but it is one that I ain't quite got over.  All of the evangelists that I remember coming to my church had a gimmick and all of them had a special story that set them apart.  One burned records, one had Godly gold medallions, and others had overcome great obstacles.  All of them quoted Hebrews 9.27-  And just as it is appointed for man to die once, and after that comes judgment. And may I be fair...rightly so.  They should have used that because it is truth and everyone needs to know what is coming and this is not all there is.  However, I wish just one of them would have finished the Hebrews writer's thought. Let's read it in context.
And just as it is appointed for man to die once, and after that comes judgment, 28 so Christ, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time, not to deal with sin but to save those who are eagerly waiting for him. -Hebrews 9.27-28
Christ is coming again.  As sure as the judgment of God will determine the destiny of every soul, Christ is coming again, not to deal with sin, but to save all of us who eagerly wait for his appearance.

A couple of years ago a dog walked up on us and stayed.  The first thing I said was, 'who is he?', so we named her Whoosie (pronouced Who-Z, the extra O is in honor of our other dog that is no longer with us, Boo).  Whoosie looks like a hunting dog, chases squirrels like a hunting dog, and scopes the yard like a hunting dog.  A hunting dog she is not, however, for she is scared of everything (rough previous childhood I'm guessing). Whoosie loves us and we love her.  When we pull up, whether she is sleeping or loafing or whatever, she goes to work.  She runs from one end of the yard to the other and then nearly runs into the car trying to look busy and trying to meet us at the car door.  She is just glad we are home.  If I am alive, when the Lord returns that is the way I am going to be. I hope I will still be busy, but if I am not, I am going to try to look busy, and then I am going to run to my master, because....boy!... I'll be happy to see Him!  

That day is coming!  It surely is! Eagerly anticipate it and live your life in light of that today!  

No comments:

Post a Comment