Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Recognizing Johnny Manziel

Today we read Isaiah 60-62 and John 1. 

Last year I had the privilege to speak to the Texas A&M football team on the night before their game against Mississippi State.  At the time talk had just begun about a freshman phenom named Johnny Manziel.  A household name to a football fan today, then he was just beginning to be talked about.  I had heard of him, but knew little.  I watched some film on him but there were few pictures of his face.  I gave a devotional talk to them and then enjoyed some late night 'snacks.'  College football teams snack pretty heavy.  There was a deluge of players around the vittles but I had my eye out for Johnny.  I was not going to bug him but I did want to speak.  I thought I saw him.  I wasn't sure.  He got his snacks and left.  I asked personnel if that was him, they told me it was.

The next day Johnny put on the show for the world to see (much to the regret of MSU fans).  The next week he led his team to upset Alabama and immediately he surged to the top of the college football world.  They went on to win a bowl and he to win the Heisman.  I try to think that my talk was the fuel behind the fire,  but I am slightly doubtful, as I know you are too.

I was among the star of college football but I did not quite recognize him and I somewhat missed him.  Kind of a shame.  Let me tell you the bigger shame.  The biggest regret one could ever have is to have the opportunity of Jesus and to let it pass...to let Him go.  It has been done before. The reality is that it happens all the time.

John 1.12-13 speaks to it:  He came to His own, and His own people did not receive Him.
12 But to all who did receive Him, He gave them the right to be children of God,
to those who believe in His name.

If you have never 'recognized' Christ as the Lord and Savior of your life, surrender your life to Him today.  Ask Him to cleanse you, change you, empower you with His Holy Spirit, and your life will forever change.  If you have surrendered your life to Him, don't miss the opportunity today to shine for Him...to 'recognize' Him through out your day.

It is the most important recognition you could have today.  

No comments:

Post a Comment