Friday, July 26, 2013

The Deacon In the Den

Today we read Isaiah 46-49 and 1 Peter 5.

We have a new puppy in our house.  We just got him on July 6th.  We were highly anticipating him.  It started over a year ago when serious negotiations started up at the house.  After many serious talks I negotiated my way out of any responsibility at all.  Never would I need to feed the dog, take the dog out, or do anything but associate with it whenever I chose to.  I am a hard negotiator...and I was up this morning at 5:30 (thought I would sleep in) and I have let the dogs out (Yes, I am the one that 'let the dogs out.'), fed the dogs, and threatened the big dog's life for being too rough with the new, little one.

And he is little.  He weighed in last week at 2 lbs. 9 oz.  My hamster in 1988 was about that weight, I believe.  The new puppy is a chocolate miniature schnauzer and he is one cute dog.  His name is Deacon.  Why did I name my dog Deacon?  It depends on what day you ask me (just kidding...I have been blessed many times over by deacons in my life.)

Deacon is tiny.  In a neighborhood full of dogs, it is somewhat an adventure to let him out.  We are fenced in at the back of the house. He goes there a lot.  However, sometimes, to be quick, we just put him down in the front yard.  Many of his friends come over quickly when he is out there.  He only stays out there long enough to do his business and we try to stay within an arm's length.  However, there are big dogs around too.  Just yesterday, one saw Deacon from afar and started our way.  Curious ears will in the air and the dog looked to be stalking.  I hollered at Deacon like a little girl and he came to me.  You have to be careful when you are a 2 1/2 lbs. dog.  Although I don't think any of these dogs would hurt him, he is about the size of a squirrel...you never know.

There is one stalking you and me today as well.  Did you know that?  It is not a dog.  It is a lion...a very evil one.  1 Peter 5.8 tells us about him- Be serious! Be alert! Your adversary the Devil is prowling around like a roaring lion, looking for anyone he can devour.

This is serious business, folks.  This is not a light matter.  The devil stalks you daily seeking to steal your zeal, kill your thrill, and destroy your joy.  Thank God, the owner of your soul is only a prayer away, but do not take the devil's schemes and traps lightly. Don't walk in fear either.  The Lord will provide all you need in the day of trial.  Just, as the Scripture says, be sure you are serious about the matter and alert to the devil's agenda behind your experiences and encounters. 

Have a great day and watch out for the big dogs...and the lion!

No comments:

Post a Comment