Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Mindin' Your Own Bitness

Today we read 1 Chronicles 25-27 and 1 Thessalonians 4.

I love the writings of Paul...especially the short letters.  I love the short letters because it gets right to the point.  Usually Paul splits his letters--the first half is a theology lesson and the second half is living lessons.  First orthodoxy (knowing what to believe) and then orthopraxy (living what you believe).  In the short letters he gets to the practicing part a lot quicker.  We get some good words today in  1 Thessalonians 4.1- Finally, then, brothers, we ask and urge you in the Lord Jesus, that as you received from us how you ought to walk and to please God, just as you are doing, that you do so more and more.  And that thought continues in v.11and to aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you. 

I am not fascinated to know everyone else's affairs.  To be a pastor and to be involved in the community, I know an amazing little about the various fits of drama that may strike the community.  In other words, I don't try to keep up with the latest gossip.  I am not really interested.  I figure if people want me to get in the trenches of their various warfare acts, they will let me know.  Of course, I am not perfect about any of that.  A tad bit of info can sure be satisfying at times, but, honestly folks, we have bigger fish to fry in our lives than to dig in, analyze, and criticize others.

The Word tells us today to walk in a way to please the Lord and to mind our own affairs.  That is a good Word for today,  I believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment