Thursday, May 30, 2013

New York State of Mind

Today we read Proverbs 13-15 and Romans 11.

Our tour guide in New York City last weekend was Matt Koke.  He was excellent and led us on a great tour.  One comment that he made to us in preparation has made me stop and ponder many times.  He said, "People say New Yorkers are rude.  They are not.  They are kind and welcoming.  The people that are rude are the tourists because they believe that they ought to be rude in order to get by in New York because they think everyone else will be.  When you meet rude people, it is the tourists, not the residents."  Interestingly enough, I found what he said to be true.  New Yorkers are in a hurry, but so am I usually.  I like that kind of pace.

I thought about that false shield of tourist rudeness when I read Proverbs 15.1-
A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.
Along the same line, verse 4 A gentle tongue is a tree of life, but perverseness in it breaks the spirit.

They say- Speak lightly and carry a big stick.  Let's, instead, speak lightly and leave our big sticks in the building out back.

No comments:

Post a Comment